Thursday, September 11, 2008

To My Dad



Today is my dad's birthday. Usually, my sister and I bake him cookies and give him a card. But this year, I decided to think back on some very fond memories that we've made.
I remember how much I loved it when he had fruitie pebbles or frosted flakes because we didn't get cereal like that at mom's house. I remember getting the special treat of a tiny bowl of ice cream and watching movies in the living room before we went to bed.
I remember riding our bikes around his development. I remember the honeysuckle bushes. I remember playing with his G.I. Joe (even though I cringe at the thought of him letting me do that NOW that I know what that "doll" is worth!!)
I remember cutting up the pictures of the women he dated who my sister and "failed" as applicants to be our step-mother. I remember how much we liked Diane (and how much we love her still!)
I remember sheba/blacky... the stray black cat that we took in for a while. I remember snow-bug... RIP. I remember summer days in the pool listening to classic rock and floating on a Reese's cup raft. I remember how much Amanda's shark raft scared me! Best thing in the world- night-time Whirl-pools. Worst thing in the world- getting stung by a bee for the first time right in the middle of the bottom of your foot!
I remember going up-state and going for "adventures" in the woods around Babcie and Dzatchu's house. I remember boating and our special cove. All of our trips to amusement parks.. to Disney. That train ride.
Thanks to dad, my sister and I are able to sing all the words to Yellow Snow by Zappa and I would do anything for love by Meatloaf. I remember thinking that my dad really looked like Eric Clapton.
I remember watching him work in his shop and wondering, "if the ceiling wasn't there... would the car lift go all the way up to the sky?" I remember sitting out the attic window, singing like Rapunzel (and my parents having a near heart attack!)
I have alot of great memories with my dad. But the one thing that always stuck with me. The one thing that I loved the most.. is when my dad would come into our bedroom, kiss us both, say our prayers, and tuck us in. I remember him, just before closing the door, he'd hesitate in the doorway one last moment... just to say He loves us one more time.

I love you more than all the telephone poles in the world Daddy!

Happy Birthday from your youngest!

1 comment:

Heather Nicole said...

That is so sweet! Happy Birthday Uncle Joe!